- Tumblr is a microblogging platform that allows users to post text, images, videos, links, quotes and audio to their tumblelog, a short-form blog. Users can follow other users, or choose to make their tumblelog private. The service emphasizes ease of use.
- Tumblr's emphasis is on customization and ease of use, with a relatively simple sign-up process. There are many forms of content that can be added to the user's own tumblelog; the seven general categories for posts include Text, Photo, Quote, Link, Chat, Audio, and Video. Users "follow" other tumblelogs, much like on Twitter, and their updates appear in one stream on the Dashboard. This is the interface from which users can like and reblog posts, as well as add content to their own tumblelog. The "like" button lets one user tell another that they like his or her content, and the "reblog" button easily reposts content from one tumblelog onto another, providing positive feedback.
- Many Tumblr users take advantage of the queue feature to post frequently. Tumblr advertises it as "an easy way to keep your blog active and consistent."
- On March 15, 2010, the Tumblr staff blog announced that they were testing a feature that would allow direct video uploading. Previously, Tumblr could only host videos provided from an external host. Also, it recently added a feature that allows bloggers to add pages to their blog, allowing for more variety, organization, and flexibility with content.
- Your Username (username.tumblr.com) - username for tumblr.
- Number of posts to display- sets the number of posts to be displayed.
- Background color – sets the background color.
- Background color of footer- sets the background color of the footer.
- Link color in footer– sets the color of the link in footer.
- Border width (in px) – sets the border width.